Charles Axel Smith Building

4400 Lyndale Ave North

Minneapolis MN 55412




HISTORY

Charles Axel Smith, or C.A. Smith as he was later known, came from Sweden in 1866 at the age of 14. While still in school, he worked for Governor John Sargent Pillsbury, in Pillsbury's hardware store before Pillsbury would begin milling flour.

In 1878, with Pillsbury's backing, Smith began a lumber business in Herman MN, and in 1884 began sawing logs in Minneapolis.

In 1892, he built a sawmill at what is now known as 4400 Lyndale Avenue North. The property stretched from Lyndale all the way to the Mississippi River. He operated there until about 1920. The building was later used by a beverage bottler and by Machine Specialties, a builder of large machinery.

 

REVIVAL

Today the building is separated from the river by Interstate Highway 94. The building is gradually regaining some of its old dignity. Here are more pictures and the floor plans.

 

CONTACT

Jim Hillegass 612 940 2293  jimh at jriver

 

January 30, 2016

February 2, 1016

December 23, 2016

February 15, 2017

March, 2017